[personal profile] adrian_turtle came home from the farmers market with an apple none of us had tried before, the Jersey Mac. It's good though not astounding, an early apple that's worth eating. It has some of the flavor of a Macintosh, though milder, and this one was soft, so more to my taste than Cattitude's.

The second one I tried (Adrian bought two) was nicely juicy.

This is not the same apple as the "J Mac," an early apple I was disappointed by.

Tags:
cmcmck: (Default)

From: [personal profile] cmcmck


The discovery (another good early crop apple- it's a hybrid between Worcester pearmain and beauty of Bath) is now in our market although they're pretty small this year.
hobbitbabe: (Default)

From: [personal profile] hobbitbabe


Wow! I haven't heard of Jersey Macs since I was working on a Niagara-Peninsula fruit farm in the late 1970s. What I remember is that they ripened earlier than Macintosh (which didn't ripen until I was already back at school) and were a little soft for my preference, but still pretty good. I'm glad those heritage varieties are still around in your area! There were also "Early Macs" around the same time - I don't know if that was actually a variety or just a casual label.
.

About Me

redbird: closeup of me drinking tea, in a friend's kitchen (Default)
Redbird

Most-used tags

Powered by Dreamwidth Studios

Style credit

Expand cut tags

No cut tags